This course focuses on the critical planning stage of a project and how to set a project up for success. Exercises with Microsoft Word and Project demonstrate effective and easy-to-implement techniques to better plan, schedule and allocate resources.
Group Bookings Only - All States and Territories of Australia
Experience participating in project teams as a project manager, manager, supervisor, team leader, or consultant.
Basic understanding of project management concepts, such as task lists, work breakdown structures, Gantt charts, task dependencies, scheduling constraints, and resource allocation.
Hands-on experience with Microsoft Project
Lesson 1: An Introduction to Project Planning
- Why Project Plans Are Important
- Components of a Project Plan
- Expert Vide Jump-Start Project Success with Planning
- Discussion: What Makes Projects Succeed or Fail?
Lesson 2: Preparing an Effective Project Plan
- Why Effective Communication Is Important
- Techniques for Communicating Effectively
- Demonstration: Using the Outline View in Word to Organize Project Plans
- Walkthrough: Communicating Project Information
- Demonstration: Creating a Project Plan Template
- Building Project Budgets
Lesson 3: Building Better Project Schedules
- Building an Effective Overall Schedule
- Building an Effective Gantt Chart
- Exercise 1: Clearly Communicating Phases, Tasks, Milestones, and Deliverables
- Best Practices for Communicating Task Detail
- Exercise 2: Documenting Work Packages
- Exercise 3: Linking a Task to a Work Package Document
- Demonstration: Preventing Inadvertent Schedule Constraints
Lesson 4: Allocating Resources to Project Tasks
- Problems and Opportunities in Resource Allocation
- How Microsoft Project Calculates Task Values
- Exercise: Mastering Tricky Resource Assignments
- How Microsoft Project Levels Resources
- Putting It All Together: Presenting Project Plans More Effectively